“Welcome to the Isle of Wight Arts website; a central information point about the huge variety of arts activity on the Island. The site is intended to be useful and interesting so please e-mail us if you have any constructive comments and do make sure you add your arts events to our ‘What’s On’ pages.”
The Isle of Wight Arts Service was set up in 1995, with the aim of ensuring the arts play a key and dynamic role in enhancing the quality of people’s lives.
The Arts Unit aims to promote and develop arts of quality and originality, giving as many people as possible the chance to get involved.
Based at Newport Guildhall the Arts Unit promotes the arts in many ways. These include:
- Providing regular access to high quality arts.
- Developing a stronger artistic sector to bring greater creativity to the Island.
- Promoting arts in supporting tourism, social and economic regeneration.
- Enhancing our environment through public and environmental art.
Heading the team are arts development officers, Maria Wilkinson and Chris Slann who are responsible for fund raising, project development, partnership development and the strategic development of arts across the Island.
Altogether the arts team have helped bring more than £1million of investment to the Island over the past three years, with the funds going into many different projects. Current projects being delivered include:
- Creative Partnerships Southampton and the Isle of Wight
- Telephone answering services to small businesses
- Arts Away Rural Touring and Arts Development programme
- Dance Development project
- Public Arts/ Public Realm Projects